- Leadership plans to implement upon return to their community.
- Academic and career goals.
- Work ethics and a belief that work is not only a right, but also a social obligation to reach his/her full potential.
- A resource development plan in order to attain continued or more complete independence through technology, community support peer mentoring.
The Youth Leadership Forum (YLF) was developed by the California Governor’s Committee for Employment of Persons with Disability in 1992. Since then, more than 35 states, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have implemented YLF in their state. YLF was highly successful in Idaho until 2012 when it was discontinued due to limited resources. We’re excited for its return in 2018!
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) is made up of up to twelve youth and young adults (age 14 – 26) with disabilities from across Idaho. Members bring their unique experiences, strengths and perspectives to Idaho’s Independent Living community. They work locally and across Idaho creating positive change in our communities. The YAC meets monthly by phone conference call. Members are encouraged to go to their local Center for Independent Living (CIL) to take part in these calls.
There are approximately 41,737 individuals ages birth – 34 that have a disability in Idaho. The goals of the YAC are to:
- Improve employment and independent living outcomes for young people with disabilities who are transitioning from high school to adult life.
- Participate in service projects that will benefit all Idahoans, such as:
- Emergency Preparedness
- Accessibility reviews of businesses and recreational areas
- Involve youth in the community through councils, boards, city planning and more.
Do you want to join this group and make a difference?
Contact Jami Davis with the Idaho State Independent Living Council
208-334-3800 / 1-800-487-4866
This committee is youth driven and will provide opportunities to have your voices heard. Youth are an important part of removing barriers and creating lasting impact for Idaho today, tomorrow and for generations to come.
SAVE THE DATE
The 2019 IDAHO YOUTH LEADERSHIP FORUM DATES ARE JULY 28 – AUGUST 2, 2019!
2019 APPLICATION FORMS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY APRIL 26, 2019!